What is a New Year’s Resolution?
“New Year’s Resolution is a tradition, in which a person resolves to continue good practices, change an undesired trait or behaviour, accomplish a personal goal, or otherwise improve their life at the start of a new year.”
What are some of the popular New Year’s Resolutions?
As we approach the start of 2021, many of us will be thinking of how we can improve ourselves and what we can achieve in the next year;
- exercise more
- eat a more balanced diet
- quit smoking
- drink less alcohol
- drink more water
- learn something new
- save money
- cut unnecessary expenses
All these are great way to improve your overall health and quality of life in the coming year.
What is the best New Year’s Resolution for my dental health:
Say “NO” to sugary drinks. Often under the radar, the sugar content in many of our drinks can easily be in excess of 10 teaspoons per beverage! By cutting down on these, not only will you be living and enjoying a healthier lifestyle, but you will also be protecting your teeth and overall oral health.
5 TOP WAYS of dumping sugary drinks from your diet for GOOD:
- Make a list of all drinks you consume and check whether they contain sugar (you may be very surprised!)
- Instead of just quitting, find a sugar free alternative to replace the sugary ones – eg: find a herbal tea you love to replace the bottled juices
- Plan ahead – grab a drink bottle filled with water or a thermos with tea, ready to go with you, so you are not seduced by the colourful bottled sugary drink labels at the local shops
- Failing is OK!! Don’t beat yourself up, if you slip and go back to old habits. After all, habits take time to change.
- Honour yourself daily – remember the goal. You are choosing long term dental health over short term sugar hits
If it’s been a while since you visited the dentist and need some inspiration to settle your nerves, listen to what our happy patients have to say. Watch testimonials now.